CASSINI is the European Commission’s new programme to support to space-based entrepreneurs, and NSC is hosting the Ireland portion of the very first CASSINI Hackathon with our partners MTU and Blackrock Castle Observatory. The theme of this hackathon is Digitising Green Spaces and it’s focused on helping teams develop new applications using satellite data and signals under the challenges of Discover Your City, Staying Fit & Healthy, and Protecting Our Rural Areas.
The competition involves 9 other countries across Europe and will take place 18-20 June. Download the schedule!
The Ireland hackathon is sponsored by Blacknight. The top three Irish teams take home €2,500 1st, €1,500 2nd, and €500 3rd place prizes PLUS each of the three winning teams gets a .earth domain and a Minimus hosting package for a year!
Join us online to solve global challenges and design the future of Ireland’s green spaces. Learn more here!
Monday 31 May [ Recording (YT) | Slides PDF ]
- 4:00 PM CASSINI Launch event: Meet the CASSINI event and hear from seasoned entrepreneurs and experts about how they’re using space data & signals in their products and services.
- 5:30 – 6:30 PM Ireland Info Session: Meet the Irish organising team, learn about the technical, marketing, business, design and other roles on each team; find out about the supports on hand; and ask questions!
Tuesday 01 June [ Recording ]
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM Copernicus and CREODIAS (Technical Session): What is DIAS and how can you leverage it in your solutions? In this session, Klaudia Bielinska from CloudFerro will give you a general introduction to Copernicus and the DIAS platform. Discover all this platform has to offer in data storage and cloud computing.
Wednesday 02 June [ Recording (YT) ]
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM The Data and Challenges Collide (Technical Session): In this second CREODIAS session, you will dive into the different DIAS datasets. Together with Sylwia Nasilowska from CloudFerro and Annekatrien Debien from SpaceTec Partners, you’ll examine the opportunities those sets offer for the 3 hackathon challenges.
Thursday 03 June [ Recording (YT) ]
- 4:00 – 5:00 PM Discover Galileo & EGNOS (Technical Session): How can the Galileo programme and EGNOS technologies help you solve the hackathons challenges? Join this session with Katerina Strelcova from EUSPA to learn how to use these datasets and signals – for example on smartphones.
Wednesday 09 June [ Slides PDF ]
- 5:00 – 6:00 PM Local Connections Ireland (NSC): Get a chance to meet other members of the Ireland group and start brainstorming! Learn how the Europe-wide challenges of Discover Your City, Staying Fit & Healthy, and Protecting Our Rural Areas relate to Ireland.
Thursday 10 June [ Recording (YT) ]
- 5:00 – 6:00 PM Green Economy Ireland (Mary Carty): Join Mary Carty, Director of Wilson and Keys, to discuss Digitising Green Spaces with Earth Observational data. This workshop will consider the SDGs, examples of initiatives and businesses enabled by EO Data, and the wider context; the challenges, ethics, and responsibilities when building businesses of this nature. A challenge will be set for the team to round off the session.
Friday 11 June [ Completed ]
- 6:00 – 7:00 PM Games Night Ireland (Angela Newman): Get to know other members of the Ireland team in a fun, informal, online games night.
Tuesday 15 June [ Recording (YT) | Sample Deck (2MB PPT) ]
- 6:00 – 7:00 PM Prepared to Pitch (Dr. Maire O Sullivan): Prepare to pitch your Hackathon team’s idea to the judges! Join Dr Maire O Sullivan, Lecturer in the Department of Marketing and International Business at Munster Technological University. She’ll take you through how to pitch like a pro; provide a take-home exercise; and take questions in this key preparation session.
After registration, you will be directed straight to the event platform on Eventtia and given full access to the central hub’s events schedule and live feeds. You will also have the chance to see events schedules from other local hubs that have made their events open to all participants. Make sure to make the most of it!